First responders at the technician level are those who respond to releases or potential releases for the purpose of stopping the release. This course takes a more aggressive approach to the point of release in order to actually stop the release. They shall receive at least twenty-four (24) hours of training in the following areas as well as competency in both operations and awareness levels of hazardous waste operations.
• Implement Employers Emergency Response Plan (ERP)
• Know the classification, identifications and verifications of known and unknown materials by using field survey instruments and equipment.
• Be able to function within an assigned role in the Incident command system
• Selection and use of specialized chemical P.P.E. available
• Understand hazard and risk assessment techniques
• Perform advanced control, containment, and or confinement operations utilizing P.P.E. available.
• Implementation of decontamination procedures
• Understand and implementation of termination procedures
• Understand basic chemical and toxicological terminology and behavior
Length: 24 hrs.
Course Renewal: Annually
Refresher: 8 hrs.