Hazardous Material Specialist are individuals who respond with and provide support to hazardous materials technicians. Their duties parallel those of the hazardous materials technicians, however, those duties require a more directed or specific knowledge of the various substances they may be called upon to contain. The hazardous materials specialist would also act as the site liaison with Federal , state, local and other government authorities in regards to site activities.
• Know how to implement local emergency response plan.
• Understand classification, identification and verification of known and unknown materials by using advanced survey instruments and equipment.
• Know the state emergency response plan.
• Be able to select and use proper specialized chemical personal protective equipment provided to the hazardous materials specialist.
• Understand in-depth hazard and risk techniques.
• Be able to perform specialized control, containment, and/or confinement operations within the capabilities of the resources and personal protective equipment available.
• Be able to determine and implement decontamination procedures.
• Have the ability to develop a site safety and control plan.
• Understand chemical, radiological and toxicological terminology and behavior.
Length: 40 hrs.
Course Renewal: Annually
Refresher: 8 hrs.